Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The Sweet Life


The Sweet Life is one of the “little gems” in the historic Lower East Side that has managed to withstand the test of time and become a permanent fixture in the neighborhood. Established in 1982, the family owned business is dedicated to bringing gourmet chocolates and candy from around the world---to their packed little store. The store itself is fairly small but somehow amongst the full shelves of candy, I did not feel overwhelmed or discouraged by the abundance of sugary offerings, but enthusiastic about what treasures I might find. In addition to importing sweets, they also make their own on-site. I decided to sample something handmade and unique to The Sweet Life. When I asked the sales person what their signature piece was, she recommended the Caramel softy pop. The lollipop is composed of marshmallow and caramel covered in a milk chocolate on a stick. I’m usually not a fan of marshmallow, but I decided to take her advice. It was amazing. The petite confection was light and fluffy and gave me a scrumptious sugar buzz--without making me feel overly guilty. If on the LES, pop into The Sweet Life and grab a pop!

The Sweet Life
63 Hester St. (@ Ludlow St.)
New York, NY 10002
phone: 212.598.0092
Subway: East Broadway Station, F
Price: $$

No comments:

Post a Comment